Thursday 20 October 2011

Panopticon Anylisis

Choose an example of one aspect of contemporary culture that is, in your opinion, panoptic. Write an explanation of this, in approximately 200-300 words, employing key Foucauldian language, such as 'Docile Bodies' or 'self-regulation, and using not less than 5 quotes from the text 'Panopticism' in Thomas, J. (2000) 'Reading Images', NY, Palgrave McMillan.



It is a growing concern, that in our modern society, complete strangers can access vital information about us. From our Date of Birth to even our phone numbers and with a never slowing rise in ways to communicate , we have become virtual and real human interaction is no longer relevant. Facebook is guilty of this and it's clear to see why. When analysing facebook from a Foucodian perspective, it's panopticon traits are clearly visible. Foucault suggests that we have become “the object of information, never a subject in communication" Facebook allows anyone to create a performance of themselves .Anyone can be anyone from the comfort of their own computer or with modern technology, the palm of their hand. They can change and enhance their profile to match society's requirements. Facebook promotes constant communication and thus creating a "state of constant and permanent visibility" I myself have 586 "facebook" friends, Notice how I called them "Facebook friends" and not my "Friends" and it's very unlikely that I know all of them. I have my girlfriend and close friends on there but I also have acquaintances that I've only met one drunken evening, yet they seem to know me as well as some of my closest friends do. I'm very careful what I show online. It says I'm in a relationship but doesn't show who with, I also have my tagged photos hidden as to avoid the awkward moment someone sees me being "unsociallbly inept"

As previously mentioned, anyone on facebook can create a performance of themselves online for all their "friends" to see. This means posting relevant statuses or posting things that they won't find themselves doing in the real world to please our online audience. A real subjection is born mechanically from a fictional relation".

No comments:

Post a Comment